Meatless Mondays: Miso Soup
4T bonito flakes *For truly vegetarian skip the bonito flakes*
1 green onions sliced, dark green part only
soy sauce if desired
1. Put 4 cups (1qt) cold water in a pot. Add the kombu and bring to just before a boil. you want to remove the kombu before the water comes to a boil – do not discard but save it.
2. Bring the water to a boil and then add another cup of cold water to reduce the temperature of the water down.
3. Add the bonito flakes and bring to a boil. As soon as the water has boiled remove from the heat and strain out the bonito and skim if necessary. At this point you have Dashi.
4. Return the Dashi to the heat on medium and add the reserved kombu. In a glass measuring cup put your miso and dissolve in some of the Dashi. Add the miso to the soup.
5. Bring the soup up to a simmer and serve garnished with green onions.