Etsy Thursdays: Meet Jeannie from The Polka Dot Shop!

How cute is the name The Polka Dot Shop?  
Jeannie, the creator of The Polka Dot Shop, has an equally adorable take on party accessories and a great personality as you'll see in the following interview.  Coming across people like Jeannie is one of the many reasons why I love blogging.  The first thing I came across was her bunny hoppers cupcake toppers as I was searching for some Easter inspiration.  They even have bunny tails on the back!  Love it!  What I also love about her selection is that they are also very reasonably priced. 


The Polka Dot Shop offers banners, cupcake toppers, wands, trinkets and ornaments throughout the year.  Jeannie's selection changes with the season and she is able to make custom orders.  Much of what I will be showcasing today is light, feminine and so representative of Spring.  You'll have to check back to see what she offers throughout the year.  Here are just a few things from this past Halloween and Christmas (yes those are bacon ornaments!):

(click to enlarge photo)

Where do you get your creative inspiration from?
"I find myself creating things for young girls. Sweet, lacy, pink things. I find this funny because when I was a little girl I liked dinosaurs, Planet of the Apes, dried frogs, and running around barefooted. Forget dresses and frills.  I guess my inner girlie girl just wasn't ready to break out.  When I found out I was having a little girl I requested NO PINK. at my baby shower. It just wasn't me. Now almost everything I make is pink."


How long have you been creating party accessories?
"About six years ago when my daughter was young I started throwing her every kind of party you can think of. If there was something either of us liked we had a party to celebrate: princess, Dora, Easter, springtime,Halloween, pinwheels etc.  I think I had more fun getting the parties ready than she had at the actual party."


How did your Etsy shop come about?
"Throwing so many parties was starting to get expensive but I didn't want to stop or limit myself. I opened my etsy store and started creating parties for others.  When I make something special for a customer and they send me a photo, it is like I am at the party with them. So much fun AND, I get paid. You can't get any better than that."



Which item in your current collection is your favorite?
 "Right now I am really loving those super fuzzy chicks. I give them hats, a toy, and nestle them in a basket. They are perfect for Easter and spring. We have them all over our house wearing their finest. I think I hear them peeping at night."

Bottom Left: Sweet Tiny Nut Cups

Besides Etsy, where else can we find you?
(nothing on FB just yet, it's a work in progress.)


What advice do you have for aspiring art/craft sellers?
"Make things you love and don't be afraid to get them out there. Visit other shops like yours and try to see what is working for them. Don't be afraid to ask other Etsy sellers for advice on how to get your shop rolling. Relist often to get your items seen. Most importantly? Have fun and call your mother, she wants to hear all about it."

Thank you Jeannie for your interview! It has been a pleasure having you here at Castles and Carriages.  We hope to have you here again soon showcasing more of your fabulous work!

Comments

  1. Wow! Totally awesome party accessories. Makes what to have a party :o)
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear from you! If you happen to start following me, please let me know so I can follow you back :)

Popular Posts