Sweet Dinner Rolls


There was a time when the only thing I knew how to "cook" was the macaroni and cheese that came out of a box.  The thought of touching raw meat grossed me out and baking bread terrified me.  I remember trying to make chutney for the first time and I misread the ingredients.  Rather than adding a few cloves of garlic, I added a few heads of garlic.  Let me tell you that little tidbit of information makes a HUGE difference.  My husband came out of our bedroom complaining of the smell and how his eyes burned!  Remembering all of that makes me laugh now!  Had I known how easy it was to bake bread, maybe I would have started with that first ;)

I don't always have bread flour to make dinner rolls so it's nice to have a recipe that doesn't require a special flour to be used.  These roll are light and buttery.  The original recipe uses a bread machine but I have adapted this for someone using a Kitchen Aid Mixer. 


Sweet Dinner Rolls:
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions

  1. Warm water to 110 degrees then dissolve yeast in and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Wait about 10 minutes until yeast gets foamy on top.  In the mean time, whisk flour and salt together in a separate bowl.  Cream butter and sugar together in Kitchen Aid mixer.
  2. Add egg, warmed milk and proofed yeast to butter/sugar mixture.  Then add flour gradually.  Use paddle until the dough just starts to come together then change to dough hook.  Knead for several minutes on medium speed until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.  Let dough rise in a large greased pot for 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, punch dough down.
  3. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden. 



Recipe Adapted From: All Recipes 

Comments

  1. Hi Jen! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I purchased the felt leaves at an outdoor flea market in my town.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear from you! If you happen to start following me, please let me know so I can follow you back :)

Popular Posts